Hoosier National Forest is located in the hills of south central Indiana and is comprised of four separate sections. This area provides the best hiking trails and nature experiences for Indianapolis or Louisville, KY residents. There are 27 different trail systems to choose from with the best hiking trails listed below. Official Website.
Trailhead Traveler’s Recommended Hikes in Hoosier National Forest
- Pate Hollow Trail: 7.7 miles
- Hike through mixed hardwoods with views of Lake Monroe. The trailhead can be found within the Paynetown State Recreation Area.
- Sycamore Loop: 4.7 miles
- Follows the Sycamore Branch of Salt Creek. The Hickory Ridge Lookout Tower marks a good starting point.
- Hemlock Cliffs: 1.4 miles
- A box canyon with sandstone rock formations and season waterfalls. The trailhead is a few miles drive off of IN 37
Don’t forget to stock up on the essentials before you plan your next hiking or camping trip! We have recommendations on:
And more! Just click HERE